Here’s our Zoom link –
Topic: St Martin’s Sunday Worship
To Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 815 0869 6154
A very warm welcome to all who worship with us this morning.
The Golden Rules under the “Orange Light” setting:
- If you’re sick or feeling unwell, get tested and isolate if you’re required to. Use Zoom on Sundays.
- In Church, please wear a mask that is firmly in place and fully covers your nose and mouth.
- Please continue to wear your mask until seated at morning tea. If you are uncomfortable about joining in morning tea please know that it is perfectly fine to not stay.
Next Sunday’s reading is: Luke 10:25-37
NEXT Sunday 28th August, our service will focus on Your Sisters Orphanage in Tanzania – led by Rob & Barb Meier. All are welcome.
Wednesday Walkers 24th August: meet 9.30am near Hodders’ at 408B Barrington St, Spreydon for a walk around the area. Refreshments at Sonya and David’s. All welcome. Marilyn 027 363 1642.
Congratulations to Sonya & David Hodder, who celebrate their 55th wedding anniversary on 26th August!
Art Masterclass Friday 14th October 1.30pm – 4.30pm:
John Gillies, well known Christchurch artist and one of our regular Sunday Zoomers, has offered a rare opportunity to attend a ‘masterclass’ in painting at St Martins.
John will demonstrate his painting techniques and offer the opportunity for participants in 2 groups of 6 people to create a canvas under his guidance.
This will be a wonderful opportunity to see how John creates his paintings that are sought after by an international clientele.
We will limit this event to 12 people and there will be a charge of $25 per person (payable in advance please) which will be John’s gift to the parish. Be quick – spaces are filling up fast! Email the Parish Office to register with Anna or Don no later than Sunday 02 October.
The Parish Council met on Wednesday evening (17 August) and amongst other things discussed the following matters:
- Council approved the purchase of two flying banners for use in front of the church to replace the ‘old’ heavy wooden sandwich board we put on the kerbside on Sunday mornings.
- Following the last Council meeting in June, we wrote to Presbytery asking that a new Ministry Settlement Board be established so we could move quickly to find a new minister. As of Wednesday evening this past week we’ve had no response from Presbytery about the establishment of a MSB.
- Council has submitted an extensive engineering report to the Church Property Trustees in support of our request that we be exempt from any strengthening work in regard to the church offices and the ‘old’ Sunday School Rooms – now used by the Menzshed. We have argued that neither building is mission critical, they are used ‘infrequently’, and they are light buildings that have already withstood the earthquakes of 2010 and 2011.
- The parish AGM will be held on Sunday 18 September following the morning service.
- The Worship Committee agreed that we hold no breakfasts in 2022.
- On Sunday 06 November we will worship at St Andrews at Rangi Ruru in the company of Presbyterians from our end of the city – Cashmere, Hoon Hay and St Luke’s Union Parish in Halswell. The Rt Rev Hamish Galloway, Moderator of the General Assembly will speak at that service. Nearer the time we will talk about transport arrangements from St Martins.
- Next Sunday – 28 August – Rob and Barb Meier will lead the ‘Your Sisters’ Mission’ service and Don Lord from Hagar will be here sometime in October or early November.
- The Annual accounts were signed off for presentation to the Annual Meeting.
- An invitation to provide a table at the St Mark’s Opawa Fair on 24 September was received.
To donate to Presbyterian Support: bank account is 06-0801-0678233-01. Please use your address as reference.
THIS WEEK AT ST MARTINS
Tuesday 9.30am South Elder Care (lounge) Jeannette 332 9869.
Tuesday 7.15pm Meditation Group (church) Dugald 021 161 7007.
Wednesday 9.30am Walking Group: Spreydon Marilyn 027 363 1642.
Thursday 10am Crafty Crafters (lounge) Jeannette 332 9869.
Thursday 1.30pm Sit & Be Fit(church) Anneke 021 077 4065.
Thursday 5.30pm Familial Trust (whole complex) Vanessa 981 1093.
Friday 10.30am Sing & Sign (lounge) Rebecca 022 0862211.